Monday, April 4, 2011

NASTY OMELETTE


I have a mixed relationship with omelettes. At a certain point I had the technique all the way down, but I started slipping. Setting out to make an omelette and winding up with some sloppy, overcooked scrambled eggs is infinitely disappointing, and I'm generally more of a fried eggs guy anyway, so I had kind of stopped making omelettes for a while. This particular morning I was in the mood (and the ingredients in my fridge were basically begging for it), so I decided to give the ole omelette another shot. 

There are plenty of different ways to get good results, but I opted for a kind of cheap method I picked up while watching the omelette bar guys at the dining hall in college. They probably made hundreds of omelettes a day for hungover art students, so they had it down to a science. Basically, once the eggs have cooked on the bottom a little bit, you lift the edges of the egg and tilt the pan, so the uncooked part runs underneath and cooks as well. Once the top is fairly firm but still wet, I put the ingredients in and fold it, then let the outside get a little more golden and the inside finish cooking. Not the most traditional or classy way to do an omelette, but its more foolproof than going for Jacques Pepin's authenticness, especially if you haven't had your coffee yet.

broccoli, cherry tomatoes, onion, and cheddar cheese omelette

No comments:

Post a Comment