Thursday, April 21, 2011

IN THE SPIRIT OF DOUBLE DECKERS

I made this sandwich for lunch with Alex yesterday. She was really hungry and wanted to make 2 sandwiches each, but I just wanted one big one. After resisting her pressure to make 2 for a while, I had a realization that might be obvious to some, but was revelatory to me: make a double decker!

 
bread
mayo
lettuce
avocado
sauteed balsamic onions
black olive tapenade
bread
sun-dried tomato spread
avocado
bacon
mayo
bread

Pretty epic. I only put bacon on the first layer, and it was the perfect amount, you get the salty, smokiness and the crunch without an overbearing bacon thing, making the central focus the avocado. I put a little too much avocado, resulting in the experience getting a little messy and overly avocado-y...If I did it again I would downplay the avocado a little more (there's half an avocado on there--too much by most standards) The balsamic sweetness of the onions and tomato spread the saltiness of the tapenade set each other off perfectly and they all lived happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment